Links - Mental illness diagnoses
Serious maladaptive mind/brain dysfunction
Special note: Resources preceded by "‡"are considered especially useful for site visitors who are not mental health professionals.
- ‡ Disorders and Treatment - An accessible and wide ranging set of articles, produced by a reliable and authoritative source (Mental Health America).
- ‡ Internet Mental Health - Wide coverage of many aspects of mental illness and health. Information quality is a bit variable (discussion of treatment options is not always well balanced), but there's a lot of value here.
- Mental Health: A Report of the Surgeon General (1999) - An authoritative, comprehensive look at the state of public mental health in the United States. Well-organized, detailed, informative. Focuses especially on public policy issues, but covers much more. See especially the section on Etiology of Anxiety Disorders.
- Child Trauma Measures for Research and Practice - The best available online review of trauma assessment tools for children and adolescents, with details given about obtaining the tools reviewed.
Anxiety disorders - general information
- ‡ Anxiety Disorders Association of America - A general education and advocacy site.
- ‡ Anxiety Disorders (National Institute of Mental Health)
- ‡ Anxiety Disorders (Mental Health America)
- ‡ Generalized Anxiety Disorder (National Institute of Mental Health)
- ‡ Social Phobia (National Institute of Mental Health)
- Emergency Mental Health and Traumatic Stress (Center for Mental Health Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) - Information from the federal agency responsible for managing mental needs of victims of federally recognized disasters.
Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- ‡ Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (Mental Health America)
- ‡ Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (National Institute of Mental Health) - Symptoms, treatment, resources, for a first class source.
- ‡ National Center for PTSD - Although part of the US Veterans' Administration, the coverage is much broader than that. Good information for service provider and consumer alike. As one might expect, coverage of military trauma issues is very good.
- ‡ Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (Internet Mental Health) - Excellent lists of resources of all kinds.
- ‡ Sidran Institute Traumatic Stress Education and Advocacy - An outstanding source of quality information and training in the area of assessing, managing, and treating individuals affected by psychological trauma and dissociative symptoms.
- ‡ Hope Morrow's Trauma Central - Specializes in presenting on-site articles of all sorts, for both the professional and the interested public. A large number of articles are available here - AND links to an excellent and diverse list of off-site resources as well. A remarkable resource.
- ‡ David Baldwin's Trauma Information Pages - a single subject site with great depth. Well known in the professional mental health community.
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Research Fact Sheet (NIMH) - An overview that summarizes current NIMH research into post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - the PTSD page at eMedicine; has some excellent updated information on medication options.
- ‡ American Psychology Association's Depression News page
- ‡ Depression (National Institute of Mental Health)
- ‡ Depression (Mental Health America)
- ‡ American Psychology Association's Bi-polar Disorder News page
- ‡ Bipolar Disorder (National Institute of Mental Health)
- ‡ Bipolar Disorder (Mental Health America)
How to print this page
Use the page print function built into your browser. It's usually an item in the File menu right below the caption of the window in which this page is displayed.
Only the page's core content will be printed. All images outside of the main content area, all navigation tools and links, and extraneous header and footer material will be omitted from the printed page.
Many browsers also have a print preview function on the same menu - you can use this to see how the printed page will look before you actually print it.